June 2018 – present
Ownzones is a provider of digital video supply chain solutions,
delivering and transcoding video content for the entertainment industry.
I'm part of the team which develops the Discover platform, an on-demand
video streaming solution.
June 2013 – June 2018
(node.js, webpack, react.js, d3, cordova).
(February 2017 – March 2018)
– We built a self-contained toolkit of software products to
support journalistic investigations. The system is based on an Ubuntu
Linux image, with pre-installed apps for document upload, search, chat,
annotations and a wiki, with shared authentication. It can run on
regular PCs (e.g. Intel NUC) and ARM boards (e.g. Odroid C2, Rock64).
(April 2016 – present)
– Build research tools and support ongoing investigations. The
main focus is on improving the Hoover search engine and importing
collections of documents.
(July 2015 – February 2017)
– System architecture, package tracking service, mobile app for
agents, integration with partners.
(June – October 2016)
– Security, performance, ops.
- Schubert & Franzke
(December 2015 – May 2016)
– Mobile app with information about a city.
(March 2015, on-site in Amsterdam)
– Refactoring, ops
- Jacobean R&D
(August 2014 – June 2015)
– Tools to edit and visualize statecharts.
- Kagen Allergy Clinic
(January – August 2014)
– Thematic maps for mobile app to inform people at risk of
(August 2013 – November 2014; ongoing maintenance)
– Scrape Parliament website, present information in a friendly
way, calculate statistics for political science researchers.
Eau de Web
July 2008 – June 2013
We did consulting for public sector clients (e.g. European
Environment Agency, World Bank). I spoke to clients to learn their
needs, iterated on implementation, deployed and maintain the
applications in production, alone or as part of a small team. I got to
work with a good variety of open source technologies, centered around
Python web development. I sent patches to upstream whenever possible.
Here's some stuff I did:
- Maintain and extend a CMS service – Naaya – which
hosted dozens of websites;
- Worked closely with biodiversity experts to provide them with
collaboration and publishing tools;
- Delivered on-site trainings;
- Created thematic tiled maps;
- Web application and data store for uploading >20GB
- Management and monitoring tools for an LDAP with thousands
- Visualization service for EU statistics based on
multi-dimensional data coming from an RDF database.
February 2006 – February 2008
iterating.com was a startup where we tried to catalog software
products. I got to work with RDF (the data was stored using Jena),
administering the production servers.
Teaching assistant at CS department,
Polytechnic University of Bucharest
2018 – present
The course deals with systems programming. My responsibility is to help
students with hands-on labs and to grade papers.
2009 – 2016
ROSEdu is a student organization at the CS department, Polytechnic
University of Bucharest. We promote open-source technology and
values among students and faculty. I do presentations (e.g.
mentorship and organizing events.
Computer lab at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Electrical
2001 – present
I do system administration for the computer network in a lab (a
handful of servers and a couple dozen workstations). This taught
me a lot about Linux system administration and keeping users
- Organizing hackathons
Baronilor Locali 2.0 – a civic hackers group that got
together after the 2014 Presidential elections to improve public access
- PyBucurești (2010-2011) – a local Python user group
Faculty of Electronics, Polytechnic University, Bucharest
2003 – 2008
National Informatics College "Tudor Vianu", Bucharest
1999 – 2003
- Courses, competitons
- 2001: Completed the CISCO CCNA course.
- 1999 – 2002: Various rankings at the Physics Olympiad,
including runner-up for the national competition.
- Web applications
- My core area of expertise is Python backend web development - Django,
Flask, pytest. I've also done front-end development with React and
jQuery, and deployed and maintained services at moderate scale.
- Programming languages
with Bash, Rust, C, Objective-C, Perl, Java, PHP.
- Data storage and indexing
- A fair amount of experience with PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch.
- Deployment automation
- Worked extensively with Ansible to build custom Ubuntu images for the
Liquid Investigations project.
- Fluent with GIS terminology, tools and practices; can set up web
services and render complex maps.
- Semantic web
- Handy with SPARQL; familiar with RDF concepts.
- Human languages
- Romanian: native; English: advanced; French:
enough to get by.